Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Just going to stand there and watch me burn...

My blog title references the fact that I am most likely going to burn in H E double hockey sticks for this post. 

Get ready for crazy, judgemental Lori in full force. 

This is what happened to me today..

 I was in the family dollar, buying coke and other treats.

The girl in front of me in line has just one item, a six pack of nice bottled water.

You know, the smart water type, that is in the fancy bottles.

 I don't buy that for two reasons:

1. I'm not a huge water drinker and

2. I don't want to pay $1.47 per bottle.

So, I overhear that she is paying with her EBT (food stamp) card. 

You guys, I tried SO HARD to shut judgemental Lori down.

 I said "maybe its her one treat to herself" or "maybe its for formula for her baby".

Then I told myself "its none of your business, and its not your place to judge".

I was SO proud of how I was letting go of my knee jerk prejudices and automatic thoughts.

 I made my purchase and headed out the parking lot. 

She was just pulling away as I got out the door. 

You guys, she had 42 inch SPINNING rims.  

Between medicare, FICA, state and federal income taxes, I pay almost $800 per month.  

Is it wrong for me to ask people to pay for their own fancy water, instead of using their money for spinning rims??

Lori Ann

10 comments:

  1. Ok, the way you wrote this had me cracking up.

    Andrew's family had a lot more money than mine growing up (obviously), but his Dad was insanely frugal. They drove around busted old cars and had one old black and white TV without cable. Andrew is always shocked that even though money was tight for my family I had my own car, tv and phone line. My response is always the same, "Well of course I did! We were poor!"
    (for the record, we never had any government assistance!)

    Seriously though, I am sickened like you are, by the way the welfare system is abused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe she was getting it for someone else....or she borrowed the car....or....

    Seriously, it's out of control! I really hope there was a good reason for it all because I'm judging her and I didn't even witness it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lor-
    Entitlement sucks.
    You're not judgmental. You might be mental in general, but not in this post.
    Generational welfare and entitlement programs will destroy out country and society if the politicians don't have the balls to break things programs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you are going to hell, Lori. You don't think you are inherently better than anyone else and being frustrated by a broken system is honest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the first "Danielle" was posted by Jack who is on the computer downstairs. I don't use the term "balls."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it was Jack the minute I read the word "balls". :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't whether to laugh more at the way you wrote your post (couldn't agree more btw) or the way my cousin is always protesting the system under his wife's login.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had many discussions about this with other people. You aren't the only one who feels this way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you know, the system is messed up. Coming from someone who has spent the last 7 months getting to know the system well, let me enlighten you a little.

    If you have more than a few hundred dollars in your bank account, you don't qualify for a lot of things.

    Since Jeremy lost his job right after we received our tax returns, we had a large sum ov money in our bank account and thus we didn't qualify for a very long time. I was encouraged by government employees (the ones that help you get benefits) to buy things we needed with our tax return money. Big things - like a new washer or dryer. That way our bank account wouldn't look so large.

    I refused to do this. I made our savings last as long as possible - which was 6 months. (We were without a job for a total of 7 months.) I was very frugal. But I was also very frustrated with the system. People who are in debt up to their ears and have horrible spending habits are rewarded by the system. Then, people like me, who try to live as frugally as possible, but still aren't making ends meet are losing out. It's not a perfect system.

    So unfortunately, most people on government assistance will have nice new rims on their expensive trucks because they get money based on how much is in a bank account verses how much debt that have....... And they are encouraged by government employees because that's how you can get the most money from the government.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew reading that trash would turn your brain to mush.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete