Monday, October 28, 2013

About nothing and everything all at once


Today I went to therapy.

It's a little bit crazy that I have been a therapist for several years and this is my first time going.

I could explain the complicated history of how it was never my intention to become a therapist and how I've always perceived therapy to be something of a hustle, but that's a long and tedious story.

Anyway, my therapist's name is Judy.

Her office looks like a place Freud might have worked. Stuffed with therapy books, a well worn sofa, and pictures of her kids.

It's probably 1/3rd the size of my office but I found myself envying her cozy, cramped office.

My office looks like an IKEA version of a therapist office and it's a little generic and cold.

Anyway,

I think therapy is going to be a struggle for me.

I felt intense guilt the entire session that I was talking so much about myself. I felt like I should be listening to her. Anytime she did mention something personal, I attempted to get her to elaborate on it.

Like I do for my clients.

So... 

She gave me a few ideas for dealing with various life issues and we set up another appointment.

I am committing to at least 6 sessions to see where this takes me.

Already I feel greater empathy for my clients.

I also feel kind of bad for her. My nightmare is to get a therapist as a client.

I would just imagine that they were criticizing me in their head the whole time.

This is one of my bucket list goals and I am excited to cross it off the list!

Lori Ann

1 comment:

  1. Sounds intense! How funny that you felt bad for talking too much! I saw a therapist once that talked about herself too much in our sessions. She was a little crazy :/

    ReplyDelete