Thursday, February 13, 2014

And time is frozen

Things and weird thoughts I don't want to forget from Snowmageddon 2014: 

Jack Jack; after being made to pose for me in the snow, stating "You like to take pictures of human suffering, don't you?" 

Finding a sled buried beneath about a foot of snow and convincing Jack Jack to try sledding down the hill. He got about 3 inches. We couldn't stop laughing.


Hanging out for a few minutes with this sassy thing. She told me "Danielle told me I could come out and help". 

She shoveled snow, swept off steps, found all the icicles on Grandpa's truck, and handed me several chunks of ice to "keep in your pocket for later". 

After being out in the snow for a while, she announced "I'm going in for some hot cocoa!"

While shoveling with the Kat, I realized that it's kind of sad that this is my first time shoveling all winter and I've been letting my 63 year old father (with recent knee surgery) do it all the time. 

Yikes. 

I also announced to my dad that all of this snow had to be rattling the Global Warming crowd. He said that they claim victory either way- too much heat or snow. 

At which point I made the announcement that it is my belief that Americans (and particularly those of the white, Angelo Saxon protestant persuasion) love to feel guilty. 

It's been that way since the days of our Puritan ancestors.

We love to feel guilty and make others feel guilty.

So, cries of "you're a witch" or "you're immoral" or "you are different- by race, religion, ethnicity, etc

have been replaced with cries of "you are judgemental" or "you're destroying the Earth" or "you're a racist". 

The same cycle of guilt, shaming, and intolerance- it's just the the groups and topics have changed over time. 

So yeah...I think I have too much time on my hands. 
My cheeks after being out for less than an hour
(I blocked all the color except the cheeks!)

Lori Ann





No comments:

Post a Comment