Friday, February 7, 2014

But as long as there are stars above you

Elizabeth Mae Monroe at age 8


To my dear niece Elizabeth on the occasion of your 8th birthday

Elly, you are the magic in my life
I've loved every year of your life and
this year has been one of the best
Everything about you at 8 is awesome

From flippies to stompies
To makeup and break up stories
To singing Lorde and In summer
And seeing Frozen a million times
You are my Elsa, girl

You are a strong, independent woman
Who knows exactly what you want
(and is not afraid to tell anyone who will listen)
You tell me "girls rule the world"
And looking at you, I believe it

You love your pink bike with streamers
And dream of snowmen who love warm hugs
You still laugh like you did when you were 4
(Especially when we watch videos of you at 4)
"Seriously, why are you laughing?"

I've loved our Youtube parties
(what does the sock say?)
And watching movies at Uncle Davids
(and raiding his snacks)
I'll always remember  the night we got your bike
(the cold never bothered me anyway!)
And all our morning fashion and hair fights
(braid..no ponytail..not the scratchy sweater!)





I'll always remember our summer of soccer
(Look out for the girl in pink!)
And our walks through the cemetery
(talking about Puritans and religious freedom)
And our Chopped parties
(who chooses marsh mellow fluff and twinkies?!)
And our many YouTube tutorials
(How to play soccer- step 1)

Elly, I hope you know how beautiful you are
You are the oldest daughter of an oldest daughter of an oldest daughter of an oldest daughter
Every one of them a strong woman
And I see every one of them in you
You are brilliant and original and everything
I asked God for on the day you were born

I can't imagine my life without you, Elly bean.

 

Never, ever change.

Love always,

Aunt Lori


Previous Elly birthday tributes (there are 5 on this blog now!)

Age 4 

Age 5

Age 6

Age 7

No comments:

Post a Comment