Monday, September 26, 2011

Facebook Debating: Pointless or Completely Pointless?


Ok, so I usually avoid anything I see on facebook that I consider controversial.

 You're not going to change my mind on facebook with just the right pithy comment, and I know for dang sure I'm not going to change your mind. 

However, this status update from my friend Laura made me semi angry and so I posted this long, rambling comment.

 Tell me the truth..was it worth it or should have just skipped on over it?

THE STATUS UPDATE:

Laura said:

 Jon Schneider is amazing: "Today, while purchasing some awesome DC action figures, a grandmother and a young boy come up behind me at the register. 

The boy is holding one of those Monster High dolls.

 Upon seeing what I have, the woman says 

"Now why can't you get something like that?"

 and says a few more things ending with something along the lines of

"I'm starting to worry about you."

 I turn to her and say, "Worry? About what? That a Monster High doll is going to turn the kid gay or something?

 These action figure are for me, and I'm gay.

 It doesn't matter what you play with, let the kid be a kid."

 I then gave the kid a high five and walked out of the store."

MY REPLY

Lori said:

 I'm all for taking a stand and this grandmom shouldn't have brought what your friend was buying into her discussion but it honestly drives me crazy when I take my nieces and nephews out in public. 

People are way too free with their advice- parenting and otherwise.

 I was out with my nephew once and I wouldn't let him get something which I know his mom (my sister) didn't want him to have (not age appropriate or too violent or something) and some lady was like

 " Some of us should remember what it's like to be a child and not stop our kids from having experiences, etc etc".

 She didn't know him or me or our situation.

 And to assume that she knew what was best for the child that I've known since the day he was born?

 This kid who I love more than anything in this world, whose name she doesn't even know. 

Not so amazing.

What do you think???
Lori Ann

3 comments:

  1. I love what you had to say! Let me know how the thread continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen L-dog, someone has to stand up to the comments that are freely posted on Facebook! There really is too much stupidity out there. I feel it the obligation of the "friends" to help steer people in the right direction.
    Example of some idiotic status updates from my FB friends:

    Example 1: "Thank you Juicy Couture for allowing me to wear sweats, but feel dressed for the day!"

    Me: Sorry- I don't care what name is written on your butt, you are still wearing sweats. In fact, you just look like an idiot because we all know how much you paid for those sweats.

    Example 2: "Dear married friends, should we rent or buy?"

    Me: Ummm, you are 19, married for a month and just moved to Florida to work at Disney Land. You also just recently posted that your husband lost his job. Yes, buying a house is an EXCELLENT IDEA!

    This is my most favorite recent post, written by my aunt who just came to visit:

    Example 3: "I'm home after a 10 day vacation through Switzerland,Germany,France and Austria! Now that I've been there, I can Truely say without a doubt....GOD DID BLESS the USA. So thankful to ALL those who fought for our freedoms and continue to do so. i am ever indebted to you and your familys. Thank you for letting me enjoy the LAND of the FREE and Home of the KIND and BRAVE!"

    Me: Seriously? Does she feel that Europeans are oppressed because of the lack of ice cubes found here? Or the narrow streets? Or that McDonald's doesn't open for breakfast? Andrew actually commented on this one by posting-
    "You make it sound like you just got back from Afghanistan."

    ReplyDelete
  3. J-Dog,

    You are freaking hilarious! You need to write this blog for me!!! Or update yours every day! I check it daily with my fingers crossed.

    You need to do "Jess's Real World Advice". That would be epic.

    Although I do have to say that a lack of egg mcmuffins and readily available ice is oppressive and flies in the face of democracy and the American way.

    When I come crash at your house for a few weeks and travel through the Alps and centuries old churches and experience old cultural traditions,(not to mention the chocolate) I will brace myself to suffer the indignity of not drinking a less than chilled beverage:)

    ReplyDelete