Saturday, September 10, 2011

My 9/11 Story

PRESS PLAY
(and yes, I am aware of how cheesy this is..humor me anyway)

I am always interested to hear people's 9/11 stories.

I guess it's kind of the "where were you when Kennedy was assassinated?" of our generation.

I don't know if I've ever told anyone except my family my 9/11 story, so here it goes...

I was 21 years old.

I was serving a mission in Chicago, Illinois. As a sister missionary that meant that I was; of course, out in the suburbs.

The suburbs of Glen Ellyn, Illinois, to be exact. Our area was called "Addison" and I ended up spending most of my mission there.

I was companions with Sister Shannon Tyler.

We were about to leave our apartment for the day when one of our members;Julio Ceasar, called us and told us that something really bad was happening, and that it looked like a disaster movie, but it was really happening and it was on the news.

We had no tv or radio, so we went to our car and turned on the radio, but still we weren't getting much info. So we set off for one of our new members home. (Los Nunez)

We had to stop for gas on the way there and I remember standing there and spinning in a slow circle, seeing a Burger King (which had already lowered its flag to half mast) and very little traffic.

I remember feeling; in that moment, the same as I had the day I left home after high school.

Like the safe world I had always known was gone.

We got to the Nunez's and spent the next hour watching the Spanish news. Which was horrific as I don't believe they check their facts and they were reporting possible terrorists attacks all over the country.

Finally, they asked if we wanted to watch the news in English, which was an offer we gratefully accepted.

I think it was Peter Jennings and I felt immeasurably comforted to see him.

Maybe it was because my Dad has always loved the news and seeing a news anchor helped me to feel calm, as if I were hearing my Dad through him.

We wandered around the rest of the day. Sister Tyler wanted to go tracting, but I couldn't do it. I remember falling asleep for a few hours. It was not a productive day and I'm sure Sister Tyler was frustrated with me. (I was NUTS on the mission. All my comps deserve a medal, I swear)

I can't remember if it was that day or not, but our mission president let us listen to the news on the radio for a few weeks, to keep on top of things.

A few days later, on the news, that song, "Angels Among Us" came on, but it was a remix, and it had people talking about losing their loved ones and one guy yelling "honk if you're proud to be a New Yorker" and the sound of thousands of cars honking.

I can't listen to that song without crying.

What I took from 9/11 was a greater love for my country.

I am so proud and lucky to be an American. Being American has meant more to me in the last 10 years than it did in the 21 years I lived before 9/11.

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children. “
President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001

Lori Ann
16th generation American

1 comment: