Thursday, July 10, 2014

13.1

Today is a day that will live in infamy, people.

The day I walked 13.1 miles by choice.

Let me run you through all of this.

It's an emotional journey, so you may want to strap yourselves in.
(this is a long rambling post- be warned!)

Let's start with how I didn't even really want to get out of bed.

My bed is really insanely comfortable.

 It cost me 1600.

The most expensive thing I own.

 Well, besides two college degrees.

ANYWAY

So, I didn't want to get out of bed

I'm back in that phase of thinking of reasons to call out every morning.

But then remembering that I hate to be at home and spend all day thinking about my work and harassing my coworkers by text anyway.

So, my dad dropped me off at work about 6 hours early (Monday and Thursday are my 'late' days) and I started walking.

I knew I wanted to try for the 13.1. I packed two waters and my music and off I went.
I walked to the top of this ginormous hill (which was around mile 2.5) and ran into one of my coworkers, who cheered me on!

So, I was feeling pretty good at this point.
The little town I walk through is called Sellersville and it was founded in 1738.

 It has all of these old stone churches, which I love.

I saw this one around mile 4 or so.

Still feeling (mostly)ok.

By the time my phone died at mile 12.6 I was no longer ok.

And here is where the emotional journey part comes in.

 I am going to walk you through my mental state at each mile of the 13.1 journey.

 Think of it as a weird form of stream of conscientious poetry.

 Only much more painful.

Let's do this!

Mile 1- "Yay, one mile down! We can do this!"
(I'm singing along in my head to my music, feeling like an empowered feminist who can conquer the world)

Mile 2- "Ok, it seemed to take a while to get here, but that's two miles! We are on our way!"
 (I'm already imagining the emotional scene of completing 13.1 and what everyone will say to me)

Mile 3- "I feel kinda of overheated"
(This is where my mind really wanders. I mentally envision things like myself running for senate and what my campaign song would be. It's always a Salt and Peppa song)

Mile 4- "You know, 5 miles is a great accomplishment. Let's just do 5. Why do you set these crazy goals?"
(This is where I hit my first real mental wall and usually stop for water and whining)

Mile 5- "Is that a blister?I shouldn't keep walking on a blister!..oh..it's just a rock. But it COULD become a blister"
(This is what I call the bargaining mile- telling myself all the reasons why it's probably just better to stop now)

Mile 6- "Hummm"-
(I've zoned out again for this mile. Now I am saying overly loud "good mornings" to all the older men I pass on the trail and noting anything out of place in case there has been a murder and I have to tell police the details of what I noticed on the trail) 

Mile 7- "Half way!"
( I get a mild half way done buzz and start thinking of myself like some amazing woman. Like Eleanor Roosevelt or that girl who still surfs with only one arm)

Mile 8- "No. Just No."
(This mile usually finds me taking another water break and starting to feel angry. Mile 8 is ALWAYS my biggest mental wall. I do NOT want to keep going and 5 more miles sounds like FOREVER)

Miles 9-11 "I hate everything"
(These are the miles where I begin to hate everything. The trees, the other people on the trail, myself, whatever random treat I've been mentally bribing myself with "Why do I even eat skittles? They are horrible and I hate them!"- I recognize I am experiencing irrational hatred but can't stop myself from ranting. Mostly mentally. Occasionally verbally.)

Mile 12- "hey, little guy. What are you up to?"
(This is the mile where I start talking to the little woodland creatures I see. And my hands are kind of twirling around . I feel apathetic and mildly nauseated but like life is ok. It's ok if this walk never ends because whatever.)

Last mile- "Never again."
 (I chant these words to myself over and over and over and crown myself with official martyr status)

Laying on the floor in my office after I'm done.
 (after washing myself down in the bathroom, changing into work clothes, blow drying my hair, and eating a handful of skittles and drinking about a gallon of water)

"LIFE IS AMAZING! I am going to do that again tomorrow! Now let me go blog about this..."

Sorry for the long, rambling narrative.

 Telling myself I was going to blog about the experience was one of the mental tricks I used to keep myself going through all of the miles :)

13.1, baby!!!

Lori Ann
(two time half marathoner- only one official, of course)

2 comments:

  1. This is perfect! Your brilliance and humor needs to be shared with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It bothers me that you are walking sooooo close to traffic,,,, please be careful

    ReplyDelete