Friday, July 4, 2014

Home

The Stars and Stripes, baby

It's the

Fourth of July

There is so much I could say. 

But the only thing I really need to say is that I want to live my life in a better, more selfless way. 

Because I'm so blessed to be an American and I want to live a life that is worthy of the sacrifice of those who died for my freedom.

I am so thankful for:

Those early Americans who left their homelands and families to come here so I could worship God according to the dictates of my conscience. 

Those inspired men and revolutionaries who risked their lives and freedom to sign that heaven inspired Declaration of Independence that long ago day in 1776.

The nameless generations of American people who buried their young solider sons. 

Those early immigrants who came on ships, not knowing what they would find. 

Who buried babies when they couldn't survive in this new, harsh land.

 Those early Americans who lost or left behind their fathers and mothers. Who gave up everything they knew for their ideals.

The revoluationaries who threw tea into the ocean on a cold December night in a defense of liberty and the right to be represented by those that govern.

Those brave, tireless men rode their horses through the night to change the tide of war.

Those lesser known women, who supported the most important revolution every to occur by baking, sacrificing, raising kids on their own, housing soliders, and, at the risk of treason, sewing flags for a newly formed country by candlelight.

Those fought for the independence of the enslaved and the preservation of our union.

Those who marched all night over 30 miles and then fought at the top of a hill and changed the course of history.



Those who defended the world against tyranny at great personal cost. 

Those who swam ashore the beaches of France, to save people they had never met. 

Those whofought against the spread of communism in a harsh landscape in Asia.
(and be welcomed home by an ungrateful country with little fanfare)

Those who answered the call of duty after the scariest day our country has ever known in September of 2001.

Those who never got to see their kids grow up.

Those who served and sacrificed without a second thought.
And especially those gave that last full measure of devotion to a dream.

I am so grateful to every one of those Americans. 

And I am lucky to be able to call myself an American every single day.

May this next year be a year of sacrifice, service, and dedication.

Which are, in my mind, the traits of a true American.

Lori Ann

A very lucky American girl
PA fields on my drive home last night. No filter. It's so beautiful here.

1 comment: