Monday, July 14, 2014

Dark the stars


My sister

Yesterday I had to speak in church.

For those of you non-mormons (you know who you are), a little explanation is probably in order.

Mormons don't have a pastor in the traditional sense.

One man (or woman) that gets up and preaches from the pulpit.

Instead all members of the church (usually 12 and older) are asked to speak at different times.

 I usually end up speaking about once a year.

You are given a topic (or sometimes you are encouraged to be inspired to think of one) and then you have about 15 minutes to speak to the whole congregation.

Yesterday my topic was sister missionary work.

As Mormons (or members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) we are asked to become missionaries.

 Jesus was a missionary for the last 3 years of his life.

 One of our primary directives as Christians is to share the word of God with others.

In other words, we are those annoying people who knock on your door when you are trying to sleep in on Saturday mornings.

 (we know you are there, so don't try to hide..we'll just keep knocking!)

I never thought of serving a mission.

 It has always been very optional for girls.

 For young men it's seen as a commandment, but for sisters (or women) it's always been a "if you want to" kind of deal.

I didn't want to.

I don't like to get out of my comfort zone.

I don't like wearing dresses.

But then my sister Danielle got her mission call to Montreal, Canada.

And I knew, in that moment, that I would serve.

I served a mission in Chicago Illinois from 2001-2002.

When I was 21 and 22 years old.
(I talk about it in my life story blog posts..which I do plan on finishing, by the way) 

Hardest, craziest, longest, shortest, most incredible, most intensely depressing, most rewarding time of my life.

In my talk I discussed how; in those 18 months of my life, I learned more than I have ever learned before or since.

More than anything else I learned to be fearless.

And I have my sister Danielle to thank for that.

She was the first sister missionary our family (entire extended family) had ever had.

If she hadn't served first, I would never have had the motivation or bravery to serve myself.

She, unlike me, has always been fearless.

She made me realize that you don't know the impact your life will have on others.

She literally changed my life.

Without my mission, I would likely not have finished college, much less graduate school.

Would not have had the bravery to live in so many different states.

Go to Europe.

 Get my clinical licensure.

Run a half marathon.
(ok, walk most of it)

Go after my dreams. 

Everything brave about me, I owe to her.

So, even though it's not your birthday and I know you hate this sentimenal crap...

Thanks, Moses.

You are everything I wish I could be.

Lori Ann 
(peanut butter jelly)

 P.S.
On an unrelated side note, my mother has been having crazy sleepovers and summer projects with my sisters kids.

Like these 'panda bear cupcakes' that she and Katy were making to try and alleviate world wide poverty.

They made 6 dollars.
(probably mostly from their favorite "customer" Grandpa- who spent 20 dollars at the last lemonade stand)

 I'm not sure how much has made it to the poor so far.

I'm surrounded by craziness.

1 comment: