Sunday, July 6, 2014

When it's cold outside

My six mile walk with Elizabeth Mae Monroe:

A Picture Post
Our somewhat successful panoramic picture at the church- we walked there and back. 
Elly was such a trooper. She would just ask to stop every once in a while in the shade. I felt like a horrible aunt, dragging her down the side of the road in the hot sun. She was the one, in the end, who kept us going. 
After we couldn't break into the church to get more water (we still had some, don't worry) or use the bathroom (we came up with an 'alternative' which shall not be mentioned) Elly decided to climb some trees! I wish I had the action shot of her jumping from this branch!
She must have rolled down that hill ten times. I may have joined her for the last one. And immediately regretted it:) 
We always stop by 'the old cemetary' when we get a chance. Most of the gravestones are either too worn to read or in German. We found one for a little 7 year old named Emma who died in 1863. Elly speculated that she felt Emma may have been shot. But it was sad:/
Elly added flowers to her hair all along the way. I think she had about 6 of different colors by the time we got home.
Right before my unwise decision to roll down the hill :)

Elly is a strong woman already at the age of 8.

When we were at the church, I was saying to her

 "You know 3 miles is a big accomplishment, you don't have to do 6. Let's call your mom and she will come and get us"

To which she replied:

"We're not calling her. We are walking home!"
(then she gave me the same crazy determined look that I've seen on my sister's (her mom's) face a million times)

Then, about a mile from home, she says to me "What are the signs of dehydration?"

At which point, I immediately call my mom, saying to Elly

"I'm going to get Nana Terry to come pick us up!"

To which she replied:

"No, hang up! We are almost there. We can make it!"

(I did make her take a break and drink ALOT of water)

But we got there.

And she was so proud of herself.

We talked about everything on that walk.

Chickens. Gymnastics. Missionary work. Living your dreams.Travelling the world. Being healthy. How men who play the guitar are hot but usually not the right choice. Owning a mini van. Blue skittles versus orange skittles.

All the important stuff.

Thanks for being the amazing woman that you are, Elizabeth Mae.

I'll never forget our crazy 6 mile walk.

Aunt Lori


p.s.- I've got 237 miles left to reach my 300 mile goal by August 24th. I am thinking about trying to knock out 37 miles this week! Let's do this dance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment